Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Spice Rack

For Christmas in 2012, the children and I gave Dan an air compressor and nail gun set.  He has had to borrow a coworker's several times to do household projects, so I figured it was time to buy him his own.  His first project was to add a spice rack to our pantry.  All my spices had been occupying 2 shelves in my cupboard.  It was a jumbled mess, as things tumbled over each other every time I tried to take out just 1 thing.  It was frustrating.  It was a mess.  We couldn't tell what spices we had and what we were out of.  A spice rack was much needed!
Our jumbled spice mess in our cupboard, before the new spice rack.
Top of the solid oak spice rack.


New, empty spice rack on the pantry wall.

Spice rack is in place and filling up.

Close-up of spice rack.  Notice that the shelves are labeled.  Yes, I'm anal (I mean, organized!)

Taken from the floor of the pantry...a full length view.
Dan used solid oak to build the spice rack, and oak crown moulding isn't available locally, so Dan will have to order it to dress up the top.  But it's looking great and I have room to spare!  Now all my spices are sorted by baking spices, cooking spices, food colorings, extracts, rubs, etc.  And what will I do with my empty 2 shelves in my cupboard?  Well, I finally have more room for my overflow of cake pans, muffin pans, etc!  Thank goodness, because that was the next kitchen dilemma!  :)   So glad Dan is handy with home improvement projects!  And he LOVES his new Christmas gifts.  He's actually looking for more projects to use his nail gun on.  No complaints here!  And I offer a thanks to Art, Dan's dad, who got Dan interested in home improvement projects as a child.  I am grateful  :)